These cuties are Key Lime Cupcakes that I got out of a Paula Deen magazine. The recipe is actually for a cake but I chose to do them as cupcakes. These turned out to be really good and I have made them for a few occasions including my sister's wedding, a baptism party, and my dad's birthday because key lime pie is his favorite! These are moist and are more of a dense cupcake with a nice tart kick from the key lime juice and zest. My dad said they tasted just like key lime pie, but in cupcake form!
I used a simple buttercream recipe for the frosting that I use on a lot of cakes; it is really delicious, creamy, smooth, and very sweet. I added key lime juice to the frosting to also give it a nice tang! I think these cupcakes are perfect for the spring and summer season! I definitely reccomend giving these a try, especially, if you know someone who is a key lime pie lover.
-3/4 cup butter, softened
-1 3/4 cups sugar
-2 tablespoons Key lime zest (I used regular lime zest because I couldn't find key limes)
-3 large eggs
-1/4 fresh Key lime juice (I used Nellie & Joe's Key Lime Juice from a bottle)
-3 cups cake flour
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place 24 cupcake liners in muffin tins.
2. In a large bowl beat butter, sugar, and lime zest at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in juice until combined.
3. In a medium bowl, combine cake flour and baking soda; sift. Gradually add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
4. Pour evenly into prepared cupcake tins (I filled each of mine with a 1/4 cup of batter and got 26 cupcakes) and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely; then frost with your favorite frosting. The recipe below is the one I used.
Butter Cream Frosting (from all recipes)
-1/2 cup margarine
-1/2 cup shortening
-1/8 teaspoon salt
-1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
-5 cups confectioner's sugar
-1/4 cup key lime juice (recipe calls for milk, so, use whichever you prefer)
1. In a large bowl, cream margarine and shortening until light and fluffy. Add salt, vanilla, confectioners' sugar and key lime juice or milk. Beat well.