It's not very often that I blog about savory dishes and that isn't because I don't cook, it's just that by the time dinner is ready, I am ready to eat and I don't feel like taking pictures of it! I knew I had to put these meatloaf burgers on here though because they are seriously super tasty and delicious. I found the recipe over at Framed who found it at Taste of the South, and she raved about how wonderful and scrumptious they were.
This is definetly not your average cheeseburger and that is why it sparked my interest, I love the flavor combination of savory, sweet and tart/tangy. The burger itself is made up of a meatloaf mix and it is very moist, juicy and flavorful and then it gets topped off with an amazing cheese spread that has cream cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, nuts, dried fruit, sweet vidalia onion etc. and it just makes the burger even more fantastic, plus it has bacon and then whatever other burger toppings you would like! This is a perfect summer meal to share with family and friends and I highly reccomend that you try it out! YUMMY!
Meatloaf Burgers: (adapted by me)
Cheese Spread Ingredients:
-1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
-1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
-1/3 cup slivered toffee glazed almonds, slightly chopped
-1/4 cup minced Vidalia onion
-1/4 cup dried cranberries (I used cherry flavored craisins)
-2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
-1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
-1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
-1/4 teaspoon salt
1. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, Cheddar, almonds, onion, cranberries, parsley, Worcestershire, paprika, and salt, mixing to blend. Refrigerate until ready to use.
-1 cup minced Vidalia onion
-1/2 cup minced red bell pepper
-1 clove garlic, minced
-1 cup dry bread crumbs
-1 large egg
-1/4 cup ketchup
-2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
-1 tablespoon steak sauce
-1 teaspoon dry mustard
-1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
-1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck
-12 slices cooked bacon
-1 recipe fruit and nut cheese
-6 hamburger buns
-6 slices tomato, optional
-6 green lettuce leaves, optional
-Dijon mustard, optional
1. Spray a large nonstick cooking skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, approximately 3 minutes. Add garlic, and stir for 1 minute. Transfer vegetables to a large bowl, and let cool completely.
2. Add bread crumbs, egg, ketchup, Worcestershire, steak sauce, dry mustard, paprika, salt, and pepper to vegetable mixture, mixing well. Add ground chuck, mixing until just combined. Shape mixture into 6 patties, and place on a baking sheet. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
4. Grill burgers, turning once, just until they feel firm when pressed in the centers (meat should bounce back), approximately 5 minutes per side. Remove from heat, and immediately top each burger with 2 slices of bacon and desired amount of Fruit-and-Nut Cheese. Serve on buns, with tomato, lettuce, and Dijon mustard.